This issue of 3G and Edge not working right away has been there for ages; however, the remedy was easy as we just needed to update the APN settings found in Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data Network. Then there was the 2.x updates that screwed that up too, as they had this option hidden so that the settings are no longer editable, but then again we’d simply download a package called APN Editing package from cydia, and there it is back where it belonged. Finally, with the 3.0 firmware update, even that doesn’t work, and there’s noway to find Cellular Data Network editable unless the carrier allows it, which is usually not the case because they need to protect their data plans by controlling what you can and can’t access without their official activation of the service. That’s mainly because the location of the xml file that the downloadable package used to edit to make the settings show to us has been moved, and yes, I know you didn’t need to know that But anyhow, there’s a solution to fix that without needing to pay the monthly fee.
Both solutions require a Wi-Fi connection just this once to connect and download the necessary settings.
- Download the iPhone Configuration Utility for Mac or Windows
- Install & Open it
- Go to Configuration Profiles, and choose Advanced, the very bottom item, then enter your correct APN settings
- When done, choose Share from the options menu up above, and send it to yourself by mail
- Access your mail from the iPhone and open the received message, click on the attachment and accept when prompted to Install
- From the iPhone’s Safari, visit: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom
- Enter your correct settings, found here if you need a reminder.
- Install when prompted to
Personally, this method didn’t work for me, but it worked for many others.
17 Responses to “3G/Edge Not Working on 3.0 & “Cellular Data Network” nowhere to be found!”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.