When I found out that Apple would be releasing the iPad, I got pretty excited and decided I would most likely buy one. I could already imagine where and how I would use it. However, I was torn over whether I should go for the 3G or non-3G (WiFi only) model.
After much thought, I have decided to go sans 3G. Here’s why:
- I have WiFi at home, work, my parent’s place, my in-law’s place, my friend’s houses, etc
- Most of the public places where I like to hang out already offer free WiFi
- Most international hotels offer free WiFi and, if not, they offer free internet via LAN which can then be connected to my already existing Airport Express
- If you jailbreak your iPhone (which most people planning to buy the iPad already have) you can use an app called MiWi, which effectively turns your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot. Click to read more information: MyWi
- If I were to travel somewhere without WiFi access, my wife, friends, or even myself are bound to have a laptop. If you tether with an iPhone (or other mobile phone) or use a 3G USB modem, you can easily create an ad-hoc network in Mac OS X or Windows and share your internet over WiFi
- The WiFi version is $130 cheaper and this is important because…
- If I am going to justify buying new upgraded generations of the iPad then I can’t spend a fortune on the first iteration
But this is just my opinion. What are your thoughts? Would you buy an iPad with or without 3G?
5 Responses to “iPad: To 3G or Not to 3G?”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.