*update* if you don’t want to jailbreak then open safari from your iPhone and go to http://unlockit.co.nz
If 3G or Edge is not working it means that the APN Settings are probably not updated to match your service provider’s. Some Vodafone users will have trouble setting those APN settings because most of the time firmwares 2.x.x have this option hidden presuming that 3G settings are preset by service providers.
Continue reading »
A while back before the iPhone launch in Egypt I wrote a post about the problems facing the launch and perhaps these problems are the cause of what took the iPhone 3G launch such a long time in Egypt. I was wrong!! Well not completely, the only problem that was fixed is the GPS. Lets revisit these problems :
- The GPS issue: Solved, by software lock, unlock feasibility still unknown.
- Arabic Support: Unsolved.
- iTunes Account: Unsolved. You still can’t create an account so that you can buy apps for the iPhone, however some sources indicate that this is coming soon (typical!).
- iPhone Pricing: Expensive. EgyptianApple was able to predict the price, which is the same as Voda Italy, however we are in Egypt it should be way cheaper, and the tariff plans offers by vodafone and mobinil are a joke!
Lets face it, enjoying the full iPhone experience isn’t gonna happen in Egypt legally (Our gov. laws, Apple and the carriers to blame), you need to unlock and jailbreak to truely enjoy your iPhone. So get your iPhone 3G from elsewhere (Greece or Hong Kong).
Vodafone has just released iPhone 3G pricing, check it out.
*update* Mobinil’s iPhone pricing
Wow iPhone 3G for just under EGP 700 from Orange France, any one travelling to France?? Yeah but it’s locked and 2-year contract bound. But what does this price slash mean? Some bloggers are indicating that this could only mean the coming of the next iPhone product that Apple will release very soon. Relax it’s a holiday season promotion which starts from Nov. 13 to 14 January.
Yes you guessed it, it’s the iPhone 3G it’s finally availlable to pre-register, on first come first serve basis!
Right now only Vodafone is offering pre-registeration and Mobinil status is “coming soon”. Etisalat will probably be in the picture sooner or later but not right now.
Vodafone is saying pre-register and you will be amongst the first to be informed upon arrival. Also one important thing to note is that the phone will be locked!
Vodafone Egypt website:
Let’s here your thoughts on this
According to Apple website
the iPhone 3G will be launched via Vodafone and Mobinil but we have seen nothing till now.
Here are some of the more popular problems facing the iPhone 3G launch in Egypt:
- GPS: To my knowledge Nokia N95 is banned in Egypt because of GPS, same for the iPhone 3G it faces the same problem.
a)Apple would have to create special updates for the iPhone 3G firmware so that it would lock the GPS feature and only allow less accurate positioning services such as GSM cell id or wifi.
b)Lifting the GPS ban in Egypt!
*update* dailystar egypt has a take on this http://dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=16972
- Arabic Support: Current 2.1 firmware still doesn’t have arabic keyboard and arabic character support.
- iTunes account: You need an iTunes account to be able to buy or even download free apps. This is a problem because currently there is no Egyptian iTunes.
- iPhone 3G Pricing: Egyptian market is not used to the whole subsidised pricing and the rest is contract based tariff. In Italy Telecom Italia operator made a deal with Apple to sell the iPhone 3G unlocked for 500 euros, also Vodafone Italy so we should expect the iPhone 3G to cost around EGP 3700.
Continue reading »